Beat the heat with seasonal tomatoes, refreshing drinks, and ice-cream sundaes!
Savor your last month of summer and come see what’s buzzing at the Boston Public Market! Join us in the kitchen to find out why honey is so unBEEleivably sweet. Need inspiration for your next summer dinner? Surprise your guests with an Orange Zest pasta salad. Top this bright dish with fresh tomatoes and herbs from one of our farmers and sprinkle on some local cheese.
Fans of fermenting: stop by the Market on Sunday, August 28th to get a taste of the Boston Fermentation Festival! Here, you can speak with New England’s fermentation experts and food enthusiasts while in their element. This free event welcomes the public to participate in workshops, demos, and attend lectures led by an array of food specialists. Stay tuned for more details and visit www.bostonferments.com.
MONDAY, AUGUST 1 – TUESDAY, AUGUST 2
- Appleton Farms’ Milk & Cookies Deal (every Monday & Tuesday through Labor Day): Who doesn’t love milk and cookies? We sure do! Check out Appleton Farms’ great deal: ½ a gallon of milk & 2 bags of cookies for $20 OR 1 quart of milk & 1 bag of cookies for $10.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 3
- Taza Churro Happy Hour (every Wednesday & Thursday, 5-6:30pm): Stop by Taza Chocolate to get a free churro with every iced or hot chocolate drink purchased.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 4
- Live Music at the Market (every Thursday; 5:30-7:30pm): While you shop and dine, enjoy live music played by students from Berklee College of Music.
- Evening Sampling at Chestnut Farms: Stop by Chestnut Farms to sample fresh products from this family owned and operated livestock farm in the heart of Massachusetts. This week: Smoked Chicken Breast.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 7
- $1 Buck Shuck (Red’s Best stall, 11am-7pm): $1 shellfish on the first Sunday of the month.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 11
- Comparing 3 Flakey White Fish (Red’s Best skiff at Blackstone Entrance, 12-3pm): Join Red’s Best ocean guru, Cameron Barner, for a free, hands-on info session to learn more about 3 flaky white fish in New England.
- Evening Sampling at Chestnut Farms: Stop by Chestnut Farms to sample fresh products from this family owned and operated livestock farm in the heart of Massachusetts. This week: Smoked Turkey Breast.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 13
- Big Touch Tank (Red’s Best stall, 10am-4pm): Get closer to your food with Red’s Best’s seafood touch tank.
TUESDAY, AUGUST 16
- The Magnificent Tuna: Scientific Facts (Red’s Best stall, 11:30am-1:30pm): An engaging talk with Molly Lutcavage Ph.D., Research Professor, School of Environment & Director, Large Pelagics Research Center, UMASS Boston. Free.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 18
- Evening Sampling at Chestnut Farms: Stop by Chestnut Farms to sample fresh products from this family owned and operated livestock farm in the heart of Massachusetts. This week: Pepperoni.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 20
- National Honeybee Day Honey Workshop (in the KITCHEN; 12-2pm): In honor of National Honey Bee Day, learn about commercial beekeeping from the experts at The Boston Honey Company and participate in a live honey extraction! Take home a BEE-utiful bottle of honey after the event and share all the buzz with family and friends! Trustees Members: $15, Nonmembers: $20.
SUNDAY, AUGUST 21
- Stillman’s Farm 1st Annual Tomato Contest (in the KITCHEN; entries may be submitted between 10am – 11:45pm. Judging will take place at 12pm): Remember when Stillman’s handed out 100 free tomato plants in May? After three months of love and care, do you think that your tomatoes are the ripest, reddest, and roundest in Boston? Bring your seasonal tomatoes back to the market and find out! Stillman’s Farm will judge your tomatoes in several different categories with fun prizes for the winners, and plenty of sampling and snacks for everyone! For more info, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit stillmansfarm.com.
MONDAY, AUGUST 22 — SUNDAY, AUGUST 28
- Fish Coloring Book Party (Red’s Best stall): Get the markers ready. It’s time to make Red’s Best colorful! Come color local fish and decorate our stall. Help fill the walls with beautiful fish.
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 24
- 32nd Annual Massachusetts Tomato Contest (in the KITCHEN; 9:00am–1:00pm): Interested in learning more about your produce? Stop by the Market to see commercial tomato growers judged on the flavor, firmness/slicing quality, color, and shape of their tomatoes. The contest is sponsored by the New England Vegetable and Berry Growers Association in cooperation with the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources and Mass Farmers’ Markets.
THURSDAY, AUGUST 25
- Free Sample Night at Red’s Best (3-6pm): Boston Mackerel. Taste this abundant, New England fish. Investing in mackerel invests in our coast communities. Let’s keep local fish local.
FRIDAY, AUGUST 26
- On the Edge Knife Sharpening (10:30am–4:30pm): Bring your knives to the Market to have them expertly sharpened by Patti, $10 for a small knife, $15 for a large knife.
SATURDAY, AUGUST 27
- Sundaes on Saturday with Crescent Ridge and Taza Chocolate (in the KITCHEN; 1-3pm): Join Crescent Ridge Dairy and Taza Chocolate to make your own sundae with special toppings made just for the occasion! $5 for a sundae and a raffle ticket.