Farm Day, Father’s Day, and fun in the sun
BOSTON, June 1—June marks an exciting time at the Boston Public Market, as every day we eagerly anticipate what fresh, new products our farmers will be bringing through our doors. We’ve spotted asparagus and fiddleheads, and heard rumors about strawberries and sunflowers… Not to mention new cheese varieties, wine spritzers, and ice cream offerings coming out this month that make perfect summer snacks or picnic ingredients!
The Boston Public Market at Dewey Square is in full swing outside South Station along the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Every Tuesday and Thursday from 11:30am-6:30pm, find a wide variety of farm products, baked goods, and specialty foods from more than 20 New England vendors. Stroll through this open air market on your lunch break, or catch us on your way to the train.
Summer weekends are precious, so make sure to start each of them off right at our Summer Fridays Sip & Shop series. Every Friday from 3-7pm this summer, visit our BPM bar stocked with local wine and beer to enjoy as you catch up with friends, eat dinner in the Hub, or peruse the Market for weekend necessities. Cheers to summer!
Love lobstah? Mark your calendar for Red’s Best’s Lobster Fest & Block Party (6/17) in celebration of the Tall Ships coming to town! The Red’s Best crew is going all out for New England’s favorite crustacean, grilling lobster tails, serving lobster rolls, and scooping lobster bisque outside on the plaza along the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Sweet Lydia’s is joining the party to roast their handcrafted marshmallows for dessert, and there will be plenty of beer, live music, and corn hole to kick off summer in style.
While you’re enjoying all things lobster, don’t forget to pick up the perfect Father’s Day gift and take advantage of our complimentary gift wrapping station (6/12-6/18). Bring Dad in for a free wine or whisky tasting, courtesy of Massachusetts Wine Shop and Hopsters Alley.
Finally, we’re bringing the farm to the city for Farm Day (6/24)! Boston Public Market farmers will have live chickens, beautiful sunflowers, and fresh produce onsite for a full day of hands-on activities and farm-focused fun. Join us for one event or the whole festival! All ages welcome.
Find details below about June happenings and visit bostonpublicmarket.org/happenings for more information. Check out the Market’s 40 vendors, and explore their locally sourced and seasonal produce, meats, dairy, seafood, bread, prepared and specialty items, and more.
Visit the KITCHEN at the Boston Public market, programmed by The Trustees, for an exciting lineup of culinary, health, and wellness programs this month. The Trustees offers daily events and programs at the 3,300 square foot, state-of-the-art demonstration KITCHEN space. Programs are designed to connect Boston residents, commuters, and visitors to local food and healthy, active living. Visit thetrustees.org/KITCHEN for a full schedule.
JUNE POP-UP VENDORS:
- Nibble Snack Shop (6/12-6/18): An eclectic mix of tasty, well-sourced snacks that will tickle your taste buds.
- Bart’s Homemade Ice Cream (6/19-7/16): High-quality, locally-based ice cream made in Greenfield, MA.
THURSDAY, JUNE 1:
- Boston Public Market at Dewey Square (every Tuesday and Thursday; 11:30am-6:30pm on Dewey Square Plaza): Our outdoor seasonal farmers market is in full swing! Find us outside South Station along the Rose Kennedy Greenway with more than 20 New England farmers, fishers, and food entrepreneurs.
- Berklee Summer Concert Series (every Thursday; 5:30-7:30pm): We’re thrilled to welcome back the talented musicians of Berklee College of Music for weekly live concerts in the Market HUB! Every Thursday throughout the summer, Berklee bands will perform across a variety of genres, including Latin music, folk, pop, soul, jazz, world music, and more.
FRIDAY, JUNE 2:
- Cooking on a Budget: SNAP-ED Nutrition Workshop (10:30-11:30am in the KITCHEN; FREE): Try new and tasty recipes and learn to eat healthy while sticking to a budget at this FREE workshop presented by UMass Extension Nutrition Education Program. No registration needed.
- Summer Fridays Sip & Shop (every Friday; 3–7pm): Enjoy a beverage while you shop or dine throughout the Market! Visit our BPM bar in the Market Hub for wine from Massachusetts Wine Shop and local beer.
- Stoneface Brewing Co. Tasting at Hopsters Alley (4:30-6:30pm): Stop by Hopsters to meet the makers of this New Hampshire-based brewing company and taste their delicious craft beer!
- Farm-to-KITCHEN: Egyptian, Persian and Indian Flavors (6-8pm in the KITCHEN): Learn to cook new flavors with a seasonal and local twist. In these lively, hands-on cooking classes, you’ll learn to utilize Boston Public Market bounty and will enjoy tastes of three local New England wines from the Massachusetts Wine Shop.
SATURDAY, JUNE 3:
- Common Boston Festival: Guided Architecture Tours (9-11am and 2-6pm; FREE): We are thrilled to be a site partner in the 2017 Common Boston festival of architecture and design! Take a guided tour exploring the impressive architectural creativity behind the construction of the city’s indoor, year-round, all-local marketplace.
- Cold Coffee Libations with George Howell Coffee (10am-12pm in the KITCHEN): Celebrate summer with a variety of cold coffee concoctions. We will be pairing our coffee with seasonal ingredients sourced from the Market to create refreshing and creative beverages.
- Eating New England (6-7pm in the KITCHEN): Eat amazing finger foods and sip local libations with professional foodie and author Adam Centamore. You’ll learn the basics of buying, storing, serving, and pairing all your favorite New England food and beverages.
SUNDAY, JUNE 4:
- Common Boston Festival: Guided Architecture Tours (10am-4pm; FREE): see above.
- $1 Buck Shuck at Red’s Best (11am-7pm): 1st Sunday of every month is officially $1 oysters!
- Bread Making Workshop with Somerville Bread (4–6pm in the KITCHEN): Calling all carb lovers! Learn the art of baking naturally-leavened bread, and take a fresh loaf of French sourdough home with you.
MONDAY, JUNE 5:
- $5 on the 5th at Stow Greenhouses: Treat yourself to a petit bouquet for just $5. A little something to perk up your desk or counter. Get them while they last!
TUESDAY, JUNE 6:
- Seasonal Floral Workshop with Stow Greenhouses (5:30-7pm in the KITCHEN): Barb Rietscha, owner of Stow Greenhouses, will teach you the basic techniques of floral design, color composition, and care instructions. While you design your arrangement, you will be treated to a wine tasting by Massachusetts Wine Shop and cheese samples from Appleton Farms.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 7:
- Farm-to-KITCHEN: Spring Celebration with Salt Box Farm (6-8pm in the KITCHEN): We’re proud to partner with Salt Box Farm to bring you the ultimate seasonal and local cooking class celebrating the local spring harvest! Chef Ben Elliot (Owner) and Chef Aaron Furmanek (Head Cooking Instructor) of Saltbox Farm will teach you the Saltbox approach to cooking, featuring refined menus driven by the seasons, rooted in French technique, and dedicated to preserving culinary traditions.
THURSDAY, JUNE 8:
- Farm-to-KITCHEN: Flavors of Florence and Tuscany (6-8pm in the KITCHEN): When it comes to food, Italians know best. Join us for a seasonal and local twist on the traditional flavors of Florentine and Tuscan flavors. Lieza Dagher, Director of the KITCHEN, will lead this hands-on cooking class emphasizing the rustic recipes of the region.
SATURDAY, JUNE 10:
- Root + Reboot: Prelude to Summer Redux (10am-3pm in the KITCHEN): Connect with local wellness leaders, nourish your body, mind, and spirit, and develop a customized daily gratitude and wellness practice during this special day-long event.
- #Scup #Porgy #Seabream (12-2pm; FREE): Hands-on info session at Red’s Best to learn about the seasonality and best ways to prepare this abundant and delicious fish.
SUNDAY, JUNE 11:
- Nella Pasta Making Workshop (4-6pm in the KITCHEN): Learn how to make pasta from scratch with Nella Pasta! In this hands-on workshop, you will make pasta dough by hand, roll it into sheets, learn dozens of pasta shapes, and create a seasonal dish with your handmade fettuccine.
- Massachusetts Grand Wine Tasting (12-3pm in the KITCHEN): The Massachusetts Wine Shop and the KITCHEN are proud to bring back the second Grand Wine Tasting of the year. Experience a variety of wines from 10+ Massachusetts wineries, and be pleasantly surprised by the bounty and flavors of Massachusetts grapes.
THURSDAY, JUNE 15:
- Chocolate Horchata and Churro Night at the Taza Chocolate Bar (4-7:30pm): Mark your calendar for a delicious evening at the Taza Chocolate Bar! We’ll be whipping up a special batch of Chocolate Horchata, an iced beverage traditionally made with rice milk, vanilla, and cinnamon, made even more delicious with the addition of Taza’s stone ground chocolate!
SATURDAY, JUNE 17:
- Kids in the KITCHEN with Nella Pasta (10-11am in the KITCHEN): This once-a-month series of cooking classes for kids ages 6-12 focuses on local food and the journey it makes from the farm to the table. Kids explore and taste the bounty of the region through the local vendors of the Boston Public Market.
- Lobster Fest & Block Party! (11am-4pm): Celebrate the Tall Ships coming to Boston! Join Red’s Best, Sweet Lydia’s, and the Boston Public Market for a lobster pop-up with beer, music, corn hole and other festivities outside on the plaza along the Rose Kennedy Greenway! Menu includes grilled lobster tails, mini lobster rolls, and lobster bisque. No tickets necessary – all items will be sold a la carte. Rain date 6/18/17.
- Pre-Father’s Day Whisky Tasting at Hopsters Alley (3-5pm): Mad River Distillery is coming to Hopsters Alley to give all the dads (and anyone over 21) a taste of their Vermont handcrafted whisky.
FRIDAY, JUNE 23:
- On the Edge Knife Sharpening (10:30am-4:30pm): Bring your knives to the Market to have them expertly sharpened by Patti. $10 for a small knife, $15 for a large knife.
- Stormalong Cider Tasting at Hopsters Alley (4:30-6:30pm): This small-batch cider producer is coming from Sherborn, MA to give you a taste of their ciders made with rare, cider-specific apples.
- Family Dinner Night (6-8pm in the KITCHEN): Kick start your family’s weekend with an unforgettable night out. Using farm fresh ingredients from Boston Public Market farmers and vendors, you will cook recipes inspired by local flavors and what’s in season.
SATURDAY, JUNE 24:
- Farm Day | Summer Festival (11am-3pm in the KITCHEN): We’re bringing the farm to the city! Join the farmers of the Boston Public Market for recipe demos, live animals, and fun activities for the whole family. Kids of all ages welcome.
- Strawberry Dip-a-thon at the Taza Chocolate Bar (11am-5pm): Join us for a celebration of New England strawberry season! Sweet, local strawberries are taken to a whole new level of delicious when dipped in Taza’s stone ground chocolate.
- Guest Chef Night at Red’s Best (4-7:30pm): A secret pop-up menu brought to you by our friends and bloggers @forkingaroundboston.
SUNDAY, JUNE 25:
- Farm Fresh Skin: A Soap Making Workshop (12-2pm in the KITCHEN): Dr. Carolyn Bessette will teach about the benefits of natural skin care and will lead participants through the process of crafting organic, artisanal soaps with ingredients from Stillman’s Farm. Rosemary Beet, Lavender Carrot, and Rose Clay Oatmeal are just a few of the varieties available!
- Superfood Society Beauty Foods Brunch (10-11:30am in the KITCHEN): Learn how to cleanse, nourish, and beautify by changing how you eat! Join Holistic Nutritionist and Bio Signature Modulation Practitioner Jennifer Hanway for a weekend brunch edition of Superfood Society.
THURSDAY, JUNE 29:
- Strawberry Ceviche Bar (12-7pm): Red’s Best is combining seasonal treasures to make epic goodness.