Celebrating ArtWeek, Mother’s Day, and the start of grilling season
BOSTON, May 1—’Tis the season to grab a picnic basket and enjoy the spring harvest! Pair local cheese, meats, and veggies with a refreshing beverage, then find a sunny spot at our outdoor tables along the Rose Kennedy Greenway.
In celebration of ArtWeek Boston (5/1-5/7), we invite you to add your voice to The Key Idea™ interactive exhibit in the Market, where you’ll be inspired by the stories of people of all ages. Later in the week, enjoy live music at a special ArtWeek edition of Sip & Shop.
May is all about Mom. Find Mother’s Day baskets, gifts, and special treats you know she’ll love, or take her out for a special day of truffle making, floral arranging, or wine tasting at the Boston Public Market. Making her breakfast in bed? Mom deserves the best: farm fresh eggs, bacon, and don’t forget the locally grown flowers!
Memorial Day weekend means it’s time to dust off the grill and get cooking! Throw on local vegetables, sausages, wings, and more, take advantage of lobster bake specials, and grab handcrafted marshmallows and s’mores to start your summer in style.
Find details below about May happenings and visit bostonpublicmarket.org/happenings for more information. Check out the Market’s 40 vendors, and explore their locally sourced and seasonal produce, meats, dairy, seafood, bread, prepared and specialty items, and more.
Visit the KITCHEN at the Boston Public market, programmed by The Trustees, for an exciting lineup of culinary, health, and wellness programs this month. The Trustees offers daily events and programs at the 3,300 square foot, state-of- the art demonstration KITCHEN space. Programs are designed to connect Boston residents, commuters, and visitors to local food and healthy, active living. Visit thetrustees.org/KITCHEN for a full schedule.
MAY POP-UP VENDORS:
- Baking with Joy (5/1-5/7): Tea breads, cakes, cupcakes, cookies, muffins, bars and granola baked in Rockland, MA.
- Just Add Cooking (5/15-5/21): Meal kits consisting of fresh, pre-measured ingredients sourced right here in New England, each one carefully packed and delivered right to your home.
ARTWEEK BOSTON | MAY 1 – MAY 7:
- The Key Idea, an Interactive Exhibit for All Ages (5/1-5/7; FREE): You’re invited to add your voice to this exhibit at the Boston Public Market during ArtWeek Boston. Come by, choose a key, create your own KeyStory, and be inspired by the stories of people of all ages.
- Live Music at Sip & Shop (Friday, May 5th; 5-7:30pm): Enjoy live music at this special ArtWeek edition of Sip & Shop! Boston-based acoustic duo Emma Benjamin and Lucy Davis will take center stage in the Market Hub. Visit our BPM bar for local wine and beer offerings, then sit back and relax with a drink in hand.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 3:
- Wine Down Wednesday at Mass Wine Shop (every Wednesday; 4-7pm): Every Wednesday Massachusetts winemakers come to the shop to share samples of their wines, plus all featured wines are 10% off. Come sip with us!
THURSDAY, MAY 4:
- Sip & Shop (every Thursday and Friday; 5–7:30pm): Enjoy a beverage while you shop or dine throughout the Market! Visit our BPM bar in the Market Hub for wine from Massachusetts Wine Shop and local beer.
FRIDAY, MAY 5:
- $5 on the 5th at Stow Greenhouses: Treat yourself to a petit bouquet for just $5. A little something to perk up your desk or counter. Get them while they last!
SATURDAY, MAY 6:
- Introduction to Roasting with George Howell Coffee (10am-12pm in the KITCHEN): Learn how coffee is roasted, profile alterations when the weather changes, and how to diagnose defects from the George Howell Roasting team.
- Demo Day in the KITCHEN: Nella Pasta (1:30-3pm in the KITCHEN; FREE): Chef Avery will show you how to use Nella’s homemade pastas with a variety of sauces, veggies, cheeses and meats. Take a break from your shopping to witness the culinary splendor, and try some samples too!
SUNDAY, MAY 7:
- $1 Buck Shuck at Red’s Best (11am-7pm): 1st Sunday of the month is beloved $1 buck shuck! Oh glorious shellfish.
- Bread Making Workshop with Somerville Bread (4–6pm in the KITCHEN): Calling all carb lovers! Learn the art of baking naturally-leavened bread, and take a fresh French sourdough home with you.
MONDAY, MAY 8 & 15:
- The Ayurveda Approach: An Introductory Workshop Series (6-8pm in the KITCHEN): This two-session series led by Ayurvedia Health Counselor Lisa Cohen provides an introduction to Ayurveda and allows attendees to build a daily practice.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 10:
- Go With Your Gut: The Foundation of Great Health with Jennifer Hanway (6-7:30pm in the KITCHEN) In this workshop Holistic Nutritionist Jennifer Hanway will lead you through the steps for optimizing gut health and the easy, enjoyable ways to implement them into your daily routine.
FRIDAY, MAY 12:
- Cooking on a Budget: SNAP-ED Nutrition Workshop (10:30-11:30am in the KITCHEN; FREE): Try new and tasty recipes and learn to eat healthy while sticking to a budget at this FREE workshop presented by UMass Extension Nutrition Education Program. No registration needed. May 12th, 19th, and 26th.
SATURDAY, MAY 13:
- Learn How to Clean Squid with Red’s Best (12-2pm; FREE): Hands-on info session at Red’s Best to learn about the seasonality and best ways to prepare New England native squid.
- Mother’s Day Family-Friendly Truffle Workshop with Taza Chocolate (12-1:30pm in the KITCHEN): Roll out truffles and decorate them with a variety of toppings. Leave the class with a dozen truffles in a lovely box to gift to your mom (or keep for yourself).
- Signature Chef Series | Matthew Jennings Celebrates the Boston Public Market (6-9pm in the KITCHEN): This series welcomes some of the region’s most esteemed chefs who source from New England’s farmers, fishers and artisans. Enjoy multiple courses and wine pairings and delight in learning from one of Boston’s innovative culinary leaders.
SUNDAY, MAY 14:
- Mother’s Day Flower Arranging & Market Brunch with Stow Greenhouses (10-11:30am in the KITCHEN): Celebrate Mother’s Day with this hands-on floral design class. While you learn to create a seasonal flower arrangement, enjoy a brunch spread sourced entirely from Boston Public Market vendors. For mothers and their childen ages 6+.
- Mother’s Day Truffle Workshop with Taza Chocolate (2-3:30pm in the KITCHEN): Learn to make truffles from start to finish. You’ll leave with a dozen truffles you’ve rolled and decorated, as well as ganache to make truffles at home! Sip local wines and munch on local cheese while you work. 21+ only.
THURSDAY, MAY 18:
- Seasonal Floral Workshop with Stow Greenhouses (5:30-7pm in the KITCHEN): Barb Rietscha, owner of Stow Greenhouses, will teach you the basic techniques of floral design, color composition, and care instructions. While you design your arrangement, you will be treated to a wine tasting by Massachusetts Wine Shop and cheese samples from Appleton Farms.
FRIDAY, MAY 19:
- Family Dinner Night (6-8pm in the KITCHEN): Kick start your family’s weekend with an unforgettable night out. Using farm fresh ingredients from Boston Public Market farmers and vendors, you will cook recipes inspired by local flavors and what’s in season.
SATURDAY, MAY 20:
- Meat 101: Demo and Tasting with Chestnut Farms (2-3:30pm in the KITCHEN): Learn the proper techniques for cooking grass-fed local meat from the experts at Chestnut Farms. You’d be surprised how good steak can be when you cook it the right way!
SUNDAY, MAY 21:
- Sunday Self-Care Workshop with Sara DiVello (1-3pm in the KITCHEN): Learn mindfulness and meditation from bestselling author, speaker, and national yoga teacher Sara DiVello. These tools will help you tune in, de-stress, and be fully present to enjoy every activity, moment, and bite.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 24:
- “Aw Shucks” Hands-On Raw Bar with Red’s Best (6-8pm in the KITCHEN): Learn to shuck oysters with the experts! While you’re tasting the finest bivalves New England has to offer, enjoy wine tastings courtesy of the Massachusetts Wine Shop.
FRIDAY, MAY 26:
- On the Edge Knife Sharpening (10:30am-4:30pm): Bring your knives to the Market to have them expertly sharpened by Patti. $10 for a small knife, $15 for a large knife.
SATURDAY, MAY 27:
- Sundaes on Saturday with Crescent Ridge and Taza Chocolate (3-5pm in the KITCHEN): Back by popular demand! Come by for a $5 sundae featuring a scoop of Crescent Ridge ice cream, Taza Chocolate hot fudge, and other exclusive Boston Public Market toppings.