Job description: Assistant Market Manager
The Boston Public Market Association (“BPMA”) is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) with a mission to develop and operate a permanent year-round market in Boston that provides fresh, healthy food to consumers of all income levels and nourishes our community. This Market will be a new, exciting, groundbreaking project for Boston, Massachusetts and New England and will educate the public about food sources, nutrition and preparation. The 28,000 square foot facility will be located in a premier location in the heart of Boston’s emerging Market District adjacent to Faneuil Hall.
The Position and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Market Manager will report to the Market Manager and will work closely with him/her on the day-to-day operations of the Boston Public Market. Specific responsibilities will be:
– Serve as a primary link between tenants, BPMA, and the general public
– Oversee year-round, seasonal, and part-time market vendors
– Work with the building operations staff (loading dock managers, janitorial staff, security, etc.) to ensure a clean, safe, and efficient space
– Work as part of a small team to do whatever is necessary to build and operate a successful, world-class market
– Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to maintain mutually respectful relationships with a diverse range of people
– Ability to anticipate problems and act quickly and wisely to prevent them from occurring
– Ability to stay calm in stressful environments
– Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in person and in writing Ability to multitask and prioritize
– Highly energetic, positive, flexible, and an excellent team player
– Experience in operations or management, preferably in a grocery or retail setting Interest in local agriculture and food a plus
The successful candidate must be willing to work with the team during the organization’s transition from developer to operator to help define the position and fill additional needs as they arise. The Assistant Market Manager will split his/her time between the Market floor and BPM’s nearby offices and should be comfortable working on his or her feet. This role will require regular evening and weekend hours. Exact hours will be determined.
Please submit qualifications and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Boston Public Market is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from members of minority groups.