BPMA Seeking Dewey Square Farmers Market Manager
Job description: Seasonal Farmers Market Manager, Dewey Square
The Boston Public Market Association (BPMA) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to bringing fresh, locally sourced food directly to and from the people of Massachusetts and New England. In July 2015, we opened the Boston Public Market in downtown Boston. In addition, the BPMA manages two outdoor farmers markets Tuesday through Thursday from May to November.
We are seeking a Farmers Market Manager to oversee market operations at the Dewey Square Market on Tuesdays and Thursdays from May 16 through November 21, 2017.
The Farmers Market Manager will be responsible for all aspects of market operations during the season, as well as some part-time, pre-season administrative duties. This position requires the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people, including: customers, farmers, organizational partners, volunteers, health inspectors, police and city transportation departments as well as BPMA staff and interns.
The Manager’s general responsibilities include: managing vendor relationships, coordinating market set-up and break-down each day, assisting vendors with sales, market counts, helping promote the market and BPMA’s mission, assisting with social media and general outreach to promote the market, operating and promoting the SNAP/EBT (food stamps) program and assisting with the market’s special events program.
The Farmers Market Manager must be available during all market hours throughout the season, be willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions, and be able to safely lift and carry at least 50 pounds. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as inter-dependently with the team of volunteers, interns and staff members.
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic advocate of the local food movement and Massachusetts agriculture. S/he must be reliable, self-motivated and have good communication and customer service skills.
Specific responsibilities will be determined by the needs of the customers, our partners and the vendors at the market. Generally, the Farmers Market Manager is responsible for the following activities:
- Arrives at market 2 hours prior to opening to coordinate market set-up and stays at market until all vendors have left (usually no more than 1 hour after market closing).
- Set up BPMA tent, table and display.
- Places directional signs promoting the market around the community at key locations prior to opening on each market day, and removes those signs at the close of market.
- Coordinates vendor parking and set-up, ensuring vendors are in the correct space.
- Coordinates and sets up special events on market days, such as cookbook signings, entertainment, etc.
- Staffs the BPMA tent providing information to customers, selling BPMA merchandise and helping run the EBT/Credit Card machine.
GENERAL MARKET SUPPORT
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with BPM staff and interns, organization partners vendors, customers and community members.
- Assists vendors, community representatives and customers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution and general aid as appropriate.
- Enforces market rules to both customers and vendors.
- Occasionally assist vendors by providing limited set up help and brief personal breaks.
OUTREACH AND MARKETING
- Works with BPMA staff and partners to promote the market through social media, contributing to social media posts, weekly email newsletters and promotion throughout the community.
- Educates customers about the BPMA’s mission.
- Assists with the development and coordination of special events – including educational programming, fundraisers, and musical performances.
This is a part-time seasonal position during the market season from May 16, 2016 through November 21, 2017. We are looking for someone who can commit to 20 hours each week during the entire market season (every Tuesday and Thursday, 9:30am – 7:30pm). Pay rate is $13 – $15 per hour, depending on experience. The Boston Public Market Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org