Game Day essentials, Valentine’s Day treats, and a full lineup of School Vacation festivities
February is the time to show your love for local food and local sports. It’s almost Game Day, and the Boston Public Market is going the extra yard to get you fueled and ready for kickoff. Score deals on game day essentials like beer, wine, wings, and 2lb party pretzels to feed the whole team! Visit the Dinner Tonight display for Sunday football recipes using ingredients grown in Pats territory.
“Love local” this Valentine’s Day whether you’re eating in, shopping for loved ones, or looking for a date night out. Surprise that special someone with a Stow Greenhouses bouquet or decadent, limited edition treats from Sweet Lydia’s and Finesse Pastries. Visit the Market for private wine tastings at Mass Wine Shop or Chocolate and Churro Date Night at Taza. Planning a romantic evening in? Take advantage of specials on steaks, charcuterie, mussels, and more.
Peruse these deals and offerings with a drink in hand when you visit the Market during Sip & Shop every Thursday and Friday evening. Visit our special BPM bar featuring Hopsters Alley and Mass Wine Shop to savor local libations as you shop or dine with our 40 vendors.
But we can’t let the adults have all the fun. The KITCHEN has a full week of kids’ activities planned for February School Vacation Week (2/20-2/24). Keep the kids busy at Cooking Camp, where they’ll participate in hands-on cooking lessons and learn all about local farmers who grow the food we eat. Additional programming includes a pizza party, bulb planting, and a chocolate grinding demo – fun for every day of vacation!
Find details below about these February happenings and more at the Market and visit bostonpublicmarket.org/happenings for more information. Check out the Market’s 40 vendors, and explore their locally sourced and seasonal produce, meats, dairy, seafood, bread, prepared and specialty items, and more.
Visit the KITCHEN at the Boston Public market, programmed by The Trustees, for an exciting lineup of culinary, health, and wellness programs this month. The Trustees offers daily events and programs at the 3,300 square foot, state-of- the art demonstration KITCHEN space. Programs are designed to connect Boston residents, commuters, and visitors to local food and healthy, active living. Visit thetrustees.org/KITCHEN for a full schedule.
FEBRUARY POP-UP VENDORS:
- The Popover Lady (all month): Popovers made in small batches using fresh natural ingredients. Taste the changing selection, both sweet and savory as well as classic original (and minis!).
- Just Add Cooking (2/6-2/12): Meal kits consisting of fresh, pre-measured ingredients sourced right here in New England, each one carefully packed and delivered right to your home.
- The Foodery (2/27-3/5): A no-cooking required meal delivery system. All meals are fully prepared, made with care using local ingredients, and delivered straight to your door with no subscription required.
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 1:
- Wine Down Wednesday at Mass Wine Shop (every Wednesday; 4pm-7pm): Every Wednesday Massachusetts winemakers come to the shop to share samples of their wines, plus all featured wines are 10% off. Come sip with us!
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 2:
- Sip & Shop (every Thursday and Friday; 5pm-7:30pm): Enjoy a beverage while you shop or dine throughout the Market! Visit our special BPM bar for beer and wine from Hopsters Alley and Mass Wine Shop.
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3:
- Water for Coffee with George Howell Coffee (5:30pm-7pm in the KITCHEN): Join author Christopher H. Hendon for an interactive seminar focusing on how water chemistry can drastically change the coffee we consume.
- Cooking on a Budget: SNAP-ED Nutrition Workshop (10:30am-11:30am in the KITCHEN; FREE): Try new and tasty recipes and learn to eat healthy while sticking to a budget at this FREE workshop presented by the UMass Extension Nutrition Education Program. No registration needed – all are welcome!
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 4:
- Root + Reboot Wellness Festival (10am-7pm in the KITCHEN; FREE): During this special day-long event you will connect with local wellness leaders, nourish your body, mind and spirit, and develop a customized daily gratitude and wellness practice to sustain you in the new year. Sweat + taste + learn + meet + calm your mind with friends and neighbors during this unique wellness event in the heart of Boston.
SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 5:
- $5 on the 5th at Stow Greenhouses: Treat yourself to a petit bouquet for just $5. A little something to perk up your desk or counter. Get them while they last!
- $1 Buck Shuck at Red’s Best (11am-7pm): 1st Sunday of the month is beloved $1 buck shuck! Get $1 oysters and clams for the Big Game (deal applies to product taken home too). Oh glorious shellfish!
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 8:
- Lunchtime Knitting Circle with New England Farm to Fiber (12:30pm-1:30pm in the KITCHEN; FREE): Join us for a NEW weekly* knitting group! We will meet for an hour of knitting, company, and lunch. BYO knitting! No registration needed – just drop in. *Except 2/22.
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 9:
- “Aw Shucks” Hands-On Raw Bar (6pm-8pm in the KITCHEN): Join us for two of our favorite things: fresh shellfish and wine. Red’s Best will supply fresh, local and sustainably-caught oysters, clams, and a variety of seasonal shellfish. Learn to shuck with the experts while enjoying wine pairings from Mass Wine Shop!
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 11:
- For the Love of Chocolate: Truffle Making Workshop with Taza Chocolate (2pm-4pm or 4pm-6pm in the KITCHEN): Learn how to make decadent dark chocolate truffles by hand with the talented chocolatiers at Taza Chocolate. Looking for a unique hand-made present for your valentine? Or want to share a special moment with your sweetie by making chocolate side-by-side? We have two truffle making classes that will satisfy all your wildest cravings.
- Kids in the KITCHEN with Nella Pasta (10am-11am in the KITCHEN): In these hands-on classes, kids explore and taste the seasonal bounty of the region through the local vendors of the Boston Public Market. After preparing lunch, participants sit down at the communal table to enjoy these “happy” meals. Ages 6-12.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 14:
- Private Couples Wine Tastings at Mass Wine Shop (4pm-7:30pm): Enjoy a private wine tasting on Valentine’s Day for you and your love! Featuring a special tasting menu with a dessert surprise. RSVP required.
- Taza Chocolate Date Night: Celebrate Valentine’s Day (and Taza’s 10th Anniversary) with a chocolate and churro date night! 2 Hot Chocolate + 2 Churros for $10. Offer valid all day.
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 18:
- Urban Homesteading Festival (11am-7pm in the KITCHEN): The KITCHEN, Slow Food Boston, and the Northeast Organic Farming Association will discuss how to adapt traditional homesteading techniques to an urban setting. Topics include: stocks and bone broth, food preservation techniques: pickling and canning, home brewing: beer and fermented beverages, urban gardening: mushrooms and other edible garden tips, and more!
- Skate: A Ray Fish in the Shark Family (12pm-2pm; FREE): Join Red’s Best for a hands-on info session to learn about a yummy underutilized shark landed in New England.
FEBRUARY SCHOOL VACATION WEEK
Visit www.BPMKitchen.eventbrite.com for more details and to sign up.
- Kids in the KITCHEN Cooking Camp! (2/20-2/22; 9:30am-12:30pm in the KITCHEN): This half-day program revolves around cooking and learning about seasonal food and the farmers who grow it. In addition to hands-on cooking lessons, the camp will include talks and demos with vendors, story-time, crafting, and other fun activities! Ages 6-12.
- Pizza Party in the KITCHEN (2/21; 1pm-3pm in the KITCHEN): Make your own personal pizza using fresh ingredients from the Market! Roll out dough from Somerville Bread Co., spread on the sauce, and choose season veggie toppings from Stillman’s Farm.
- Bulb Planting with Stow Greenhouses (2/22; 1pm-2pm in the KITCHEN): Plant a little bit of spring in the middle of winter! Each child will decorate their own pot using paints and stickers. Barb, owner of Stow Greenhouses, will show participants how to plant and care for a ranunculus bulb.
- Fresh, Fast & Delicious for Kids with Project Bread (2/23; 11:45am-12:30pm & 1pm-1:45pm in the KITCHEN; FREE): Join us for a kid-friendly version of our weekly free cooking demonstration. Enjoy simple, tasty recipes that do not require a lot of time, skill, or money to prepare. Kids ages 6+ recommended.
- Metate Demo and Tasting with Taza Chocolate (2/24; 2pm-3pm in the KITCHEN; FREE): Taza chocolatiers will hand-grind cacao beans using the traditional Mexican metate stone! Kids will also sample Taza flavors and learn about the journey from bean to bar.
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 28:
- Signature Chef Series | Jose Duarte Celebrates The Boston Public Market (6pm-9pm in the KITCHEN): Join us for a new series highlighting some of the region’s most celebrated chefs! We will kick-start the series with Jose Duarte, owner of Taranta in the North End. Tour the Boston Public Market with Jose and taste his delicious menu inspired by his Peruvian heritage and mastery of Venezuelan and Italian culinary traditions. Enjoy six courses and wine pairings and delight in learning from one of Boston’s innovative culinary leaders.