What is more quintessential New England than apples, giant pumpkins, and the smell of cider donuts?
Fall has arrived and there is no better place that captures the essence of the season than the Boston Public Market. Pop in this month to celebrate New England and the glorious harvest bounty of gourds, root vegetables, leafy greens, apples, and pumpkins!
This October, the Market is bustling with the introduction of our new recipe series Dinner Tonight, three ArtWeek Boston events, the annual arrival of giant pumpkins, and the First Annual Harvest Party celebration on October 20th – open to all!
And it’s never too early to think about Thanksgiving. Chestnut Farms and Stillman Quality Meats are now accepting turkey pre-orders. Order soon to guarantee your Thanksgiving dinner features fresh and local turkey.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 1
- Dinner Tonight Debuts! (October 1st to the end of 2016): Check out our new offering, DinnerTonight, an interactive display of 30 recipes highlighting fresh, seasonal ingredients from BPM vendors to help inspire you to cook at home. Swing by the display near our Info Desk to choose a new recipe along with a shopping guide to make the most out of your dinner using this season’s harvest! Follow us on social media or use the hash tag #BPMDinnerTonight.
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 2
- Sunday Supper Special with Chestnut Farms (Every Sunday in October): Prepare a big Sunday dinner with discounted cuts of beef, pork, chicken, or lamb each week.
- $1 Buck Shuck (Red’s Best stall, 11am-7pm): $1 shellfish on the first Sunday of the month.
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 4
- ARTWEEK: Still Life Drawing in the KITCHEN (8:00am-8:00pm): As part of ArtWeek Boston, BPM will create “food still life” stations featuring food centerpieces composed of our vendors’ beautiful and unique products to sketch, photograph, or paint. Bring your own supplies or use our complimentary paper, art materials and easels. See artweekboston.org for more information.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 6
- ARTWEEK: Special Local Libations (4:30pm-7:30pm): Enjoy the crisp fall weather with a drink in hand Thursday evenings on the Plaza located outside the Market. Enjoy a “craft your own koozie” table in celebration of ArtWeek Boston on 10/6. Visit us on October 13th for the last beer garden of the season!
- Evening Sampling at Chestnut Farms (every Thursday, 4pm-8pm): Stop by Chestnut Farms to sample fresh products from this family owned and operated livestock farm in the heart of Massachusetts.
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7
- ARTWEEK: Barn Raising with Farm Aid (5:00pm-9:00pm): Festivities include music and demonstrations throughout the Boston Public Market free and open to all. Want to keep the fun going? At 7pm join the cocktail reception featuring local family farm food from Chef Will Gilson of Puritan & Co. and beer, wine and spirits. See farmaid.org/events/barnraising
/ for more information and tickets.
MONDAY, OCTOBER 10
- Guess the Weight of The Pumpkin with Jennifer Lee! (October 10th – 15th): stop by Jennifer Lee’s stall to submit your best guess of how much a pumpkin picked from Red Apple Farm weighs. The winner will be announced on October 15th and will receive a $25 gift certificate to Jennifer Lee’s Gourmet Bakery.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13
- Mussel Farming: Aquaculture that Improves Marine Ecosystems (The KITCHEN, 6pm-7:30pm): 2 of a 4 part series focused on tasting and immersing into the behind the scenes of New England’s seafood industry. FREE. Registration is required to ensure enough free samples. Register online at http://bit.ly/RedsBest.
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18
- 2nd Annual Pumpking Celebration: Giant pumpkins, activities, and prizes? Stay tuned for exciting information on the arrival of our 1,000+ lb. friend!
WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 19
- Meet the Sea Urchin Diver – Hello Uni! (The KITCHEN, 12pm – 3pm): Casual fish chat with Red’s Best urchin diver, Doug Cassidy, for a hands-on info session to learn more about fresh uni landed right here in Massachusetts. Free.
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 20
- First Annual Harvest Party (Chef’s Table, 5:30-7:00, Market Party, 7:00pm-10:00pm): An opportunity to explore the Market behind closed doors and support our community of local entrepreneurs. Jump in on interactive vendor demos, sample your local food and beverage favorites, and enjoy live music!
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 28
- On the Edge Knife Sharpening (10:30am–4:30pm): Every 4th Friday of the month, bring your knives to the Market to have them expertly sharpened by Patti, $10 for a small knife, $15 for a large knife.
- Free Sample Night: Pollock (Red’s Best stall, 3pm-6pm): Not sure how to cook pollock? Stop by Red’s Best to sample and learn about the best preparations.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 29
- Stillman’s Farm to Soap (Stillman’s Farm stall): Learn about Stillman’s Farm’s new soap line in partnership with Dr. Carolyn Bessette. All soaps are made with Stillman’s products. Blends include Beet-Rosemary, Cucumber-Lemon, and Watermelon-Mint.