4th Annual Boston Fermentation Festival
Free Festival on Sunday August 28 at the Boston Public Market
Foodies and fermentation enthusiasts from around New England and the world will gather at the Boston Public Market on Sunday, August 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., for the fourth annual Boston Fermentation Festival, hosted by Boston Ferments, which connects, educates, and inspires communities through fermentation. The 2015 festival saw over 13,000 people in attendance from all over the country, and organizers expect that this year’s festival will be even larger.
This non-ticketed, free event will feature something for everyone, from the novice fermenter to the experienced aficionado. The festival will offer workshops and lectures by leading fermentation specialists including local chefs, at-home fermenters, clinicians & researchers studying the positive health effects of live fermented foods, microbiologists, cheese mongers, brewers, and more.
Visit the Boston Public Market’s 40 vendors to learn about their fermented products and explore the local beer, pickles, bread, cheese, and more!
Find more details about the festival features below. For more information, visit bostonferments.com, facebook.com/bostonferments, or @bostonferments on Twitter and Instagram. You can follow all the activity with #BostonFermentationFestival.
- Speaker series: workshops and lectures by leading fermentation specialists from around the country. http://www.bostonferments.com/#!2016-speakers/w9lsl
- Exhibitors: professional fermenters will be on hand to sample and sell their fermented foods and drinks, including kombucha, sauerkraut, pickles, kimchi, beer and handmade ceramic fermentation crocks.
- Kraut Mob: confident ‘mobsters’ will lead ongoing sauerkraut-making demos and the public will be invited to make their own kraut and leave with their own FREE jar of fermenting cabbage. http://www.bostonferments.com/#!kraut-mobs/c1bh0
- Fermented Reading Room: authors on hand to sell & sign their fermentation-related books. http://www.bostonferments.com/#!2016-fermented-reading-room/c1l7e
- Science Corner: local microbiologists will explore the microbiome plus teach about the bacteria and microbes present in cheese and kimchi with microscopes in hand! http://www.bostonferments.com/#!2016-science-corner/ippea
- Fermentation Help Desk: we will have a dedicated desk staffed by knowledgable & distinguished fermentation enthusiasts & experts where you will be able to ask all your burning questions. http://www.bostonferments.com/#!fermentation-help-desk/c6w1
- After Party: At the close of the 2016 Boston Fermentation Festival, we want to keep the conversation going! Join us at the KITCHEN at the Boston Public Market from 5-7pm for our PickleBack Afterparty where we’ll have kombucha floats and other fermented treats!. http://www.bostonferments.com/#!2016-afterparty/ejjbh
- Beer Garden: you will be able to taste the work of Boston’s most creative brewers, cider makers, vineyards, and kombucha brewers in our Beer Garden!
- Arts & Fermentation: this year, we will have a number of artists onsite showing their fermentation-focused artwork: http://www.bostonferments.com/#!blank/dhfg5
The festival’s main sponsors include Mother Dirt, Ginkgo Bioworks, Real Pickles, Real Food Fermentation, Porter Square Books, Hosta Hill, Boston Organics, Chi Kitchen Kimchi, and Ogusky Ceramics.