July Happenings at the Boston Public Market
Summer is here! Grab the picnic basket from the attic and stock up on fresh, seasonal, picnic-friendly foods at the Boston Public Market. Hang out in your favorite spot on the Waterfront, by the Charles River, or along The Greenway during their Berklee Summer Concert Series – right outside the Market on Friday evenings, 5-7pm. Need some inspiration? Grab a “Build Your Own Picnic” handout in the Market to navigate the 40 vendors offering cheese plates, sandwiches and wraps, pasta salad, nuts and charcuterie, and more! For more expert advice, visit the KITCHEN for a Picnic Baskets Unpacked Saturday class (7/2 & 7/16).
Starting July 18, the Market will be extending its hours to be open 7 days a week; Monday – Saturday, 8am-8pm; Sunday, 10am-8pm. Stay tuned for more details about exciting Market events to celebrate!
Find details below about July happenings at the Market and visit bostonpublicmarket.org for more information. Check out the Market’s 40 vendors, and explore their locally sourced and seasonal produce, meats, dairy, seafood, bread, prepared and specialty items, and more.
Visit the KITCHEN at the Boston Public market, programmed by The Trustees, for an exciting lineup of culinary, health, and wellness programs this month. The Trustees offers daily events and programs at the 3,300 square foot, state-of- the art demonstration KITCHEN space. Programs are designed to connect Boston residents, commuters, and visitors to local food and healthy, active living. Visit thetrustees.org/KITCHEN for a full schedule.
FRIDAY, JULY 1
- Stars, Stripes, and Sundaes (as a part of Boston Harborfest 2016) (on the plaza outside the Market facing The Greenway; 12-3pm): Beat the heat and treat yourself to a Crescent Ridge ice cream sundae with a selection of toppings from Boston Public Market vendors. Price based on size and toppings.
- As part of Harborfest 2016, several Boston Public Market vendors – including Red Apple Farm, Peterman’s Boards and Bowls, Stillman Quality Meats, and Massachusetts Wine Shop – will offer military discounts (and a free ice cream sundae on the plaza!) to sailors docking with the Mesa Verde ship.
SATURDAY, JULY 2
- Red Apple Farm Demo (in the KITCHEN; 2:30-4:30pm): Enjoy a free demo and learn a few new go-to summer recipes including Smoked Salmon Salad and Mango Habanero Chicken Wings.
SUNDAY, JULY 3
- Red’s Best Touch Tank Sundays (in Red’s Best’s stall; 10am – 4pm, every Sunday): Every Sunday, swing by Red’s Best to get hands on with local sea creatures. This event is FREE. While you’re there, check out their specials during July: Hake ($9.99/lb) and Mackerel ($6.99/lb).
- $1 Buck Shuck (in Red’s Best’s stall; 11am-7pm): Oysters and clams are just $1. Supporting Cape Cod clammers and oyster farmers.
WEDNESDAY, JULY 6
- Appleton Farms Demo: Cheese Maker Kristian Holbrook (in Appleton Farms’ stall; 5-7pm): Say hi to Kristian Holbrook who will be describing his process for making Pinnacle & Sunset Hill, his first batches of Appleton Farms cheese.
- Taza Churro Happy Hour (5-6:30pm, every Wednesday & Thursday): Stop by Taza Chocolate to get a free churro with every iced or hot chocolate drink purchased.
THURSDAY, JULY 7
- Red’s Best Presents: Fish Broth: Meet the Maker (in Red’s Best’s stall; 12-2pm): Free tastings! If anyone knows the benefits of fish broth, it’s our friends from 5 Way Foods!
- Live Music at the Market (every Thursday; 5:30-7:30pm): While you shop and dine, enjoy live music played by students of Berklee College of Music.
FRIDAY, JULY 8
- Red Apple Farm Presents: Summer Garden Pizza Demo (in the KITCHEN; 12:30-1:30pm): Let the experts at Red Apple Farm show you how to make a seasonal, garden-inspired pizza with ingredients found throughout the Market. This event is free.
SUNDAY, JULY 10
- Jerika’s Bakeshop Pop-up at Siena Farms (10am-4pm): Enjoy handmade pastries made with fresh Siena Farms produce from Chefs Jared Bacheller and Erika Chan during this unique and tasty summer pop-up.
THURSDAY, JULY 14
- Red’s Best Presents: For the Love of Tuna (in the KITCHEN; 5:30-8:30pm): Interactive culinary workshop focused on sashimi grade tuna. Trustees Members: $36; Nonmembers: $45.
THURSDAY, JULY 21
- Free Samples of Monkfish (in Red’s Best’s stall; 2-5pm): FREE SAMPLES of this tasty, abundant New England fish. Let’s keep local fish local.
FRIDAY, JULY 22
- On the Edge Knife Sharpening (10:30am–4:30pm): Bring your knives to the Market to have them expertly sharpened by Patti. $10 for a small knife, $15 for a large knife.
- Appleton Farms Demo: Dove & Figs (in Appleton Farms’ stall; 11am-1pm): Celebrate the first week of the Boston Public Market’s new extended hours by sampling jam from Dove & Figs from Arlington.
MONDAY, JULY 25
- Crescent Ridge $5 Sundaes (8am-8pm): In honor of National Hot Fudge Sundae Day, celebrate with $5 sundaes from Crescent Ridge (Cridgeband owners receive $1 off for the month of July).
WEDNESDAY, JULY 27
- Red’s Best Presents: Raw Bar Catering Showcase (in Red’s Best’s stall; 11am-2pm) Did you know Red’s Best can bring the raw bar to you? After all, it’s not a party without a raw bar! Meet the shuckers the Red’s Best stall to learn more about the package options. 10% off holiday parties booked before 8.31.16.
FRIDAY, JULY 29
- Red’s Best Presents: Comparing Flounder (in Red’s Best’s stall; 12-3pm): Drop in for a free fish chat for a hands-on info session to learn more about different flounder in New England. Located at Red’s Best’s skiff at the Blackstone Entrance in the Southeast corner of the Market.