It’s the season of picnics, sunny beach days, and celebrating our graduates. Pack a picnic basket with fresh, new summer produce like berries and radishes, pop some locally-made bubbly, and start summer right. Visit the Boston Public Market to explore what’s in season, learn new recipes, and treat yourself to a giant ice cream cone.
Find details below about June happenings at the Market and visit bostonpublicmarket.org for more information. Check out the Market’s 39 vendors, and explore their locally sourced and seasonal produce, meats, dairy, seafood, bread, prepared and specialty items, and more.
Visit the KITCHEN at the Boston Public market, programmed by The Trustees, for an exciting line up of culinary, health, and wellness programs this month. The Trustees offers daily events and programs at the 3,300 square foot, state-of-the art demonstration KITCHEN space. Programs are designed to connect Boston residents, commuters, and visitors to local food and healthy, active living. Visit thetrustees.org/KITCHEN for a full schedule.
The Boston Public Market Association recently announced that starting July 18, the Market will be open 7 days a week.
FRIDAY, JUNE 3
- National Donut Day: In honor of this special day, celebrate with Union Square Donuts’ new Apple Fritters. Get ’em while they last! Starting in June, Union Square Donuts will also offer filled donuts at the BPM – including their award winning Boston Cream Donut!
- Red Apple Farm Presents: Smoked Salmon Salad Demo (in the KITCHEN; 11am-12pm): Take a cooking class with the folks of Red Apple Farm and enjoy a fresh summer salad with an arugula and pea tendril base, smoked salmon, walnuts, and a dressing made of Red Apple Farm’s tart cherry jam and Fire Cider, available at their stall. This event is FREE.
- Appleton Farms Demo: Onesto Foods (in Appleton Farms’ stall; 11:30am – 1:30pm): Say hi to Beth from Onesto Foods who will be sampling their crispy gluten-free crackers in Sea Salt and Rosemary & Ancho Chile.
SUNDAY, JUNE 5
- Red’s Best Touch Tank Sundays (in Red’s Best’s stall; 10am – 4pm): Every Sunday, swing by Red’s Best to get hands on with local sea creates. This event is FREE. While you’re there, check out their specials during June: Bluefish $7.99/lb, Scup Fillet $6.99/lb, Salmon Collars $3.99/lb.
- Return of the Beloved $1 Buck Shuck (in Red’s Best’s stall; 11am – 7pm): $1 littleneck clams and blood clams all day long! You’re welcome. While supplies last.
FRIDAY, JUNE 10
- How Much Does That Lobster Weigh? (in Red’s Best’s stall; 11am-2pm): Check out this FREE event with Maine Coast Lobster Co. Visit Red’s Best to learn more about lobster myths, habits, average age and other fun FAQs.
SATURDAY, JUNE 11
- Boutonnieres & Bridal Bouquet Class with Stow Greenhouses (in the KITCHEN; 2:30-4:30pm): In this hands-on class Barbara Rietscha from Stow Greenhouses will de-mystify the art of making simple yet exquisite boutonnieres and wedding bouquets. Class fee includes materials. Trustees Members: $36; Nonmembers $45.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 15 – SUNDAY, JUNE 19
- Prep for Father’s Day! Find the perfect gift for the dads in your life and enjoy a complimentary gift-wrapping station at the Market all week, while supplies last. Visit Boston Public Market vendors for Father’s Day gifts, treats, and celebration meal ingredients, including:
- Jennifer Lee’s Gourmet Bakery: BBQ themed cupcakes, plus 30% off hot dog burgers and buns, 6/15-6/19.
- Massachusetts Wine Shop: Cheers to Dad! On the house wine tasting with Dad on Father’s Day.
- Peterman’s Boards and Bowls: Handsome, manly, handcrafted wood bowls, great for a healthy appetite! 20% off 15″ and up Large Wooden Bowls, 6/15 – 6/19.
- Red’s Best: For every $50 gift card purchased, receive $5 bonus bucks for FREE! P.S. You can totally use the extra bucks for yourself. 6/15 – 6/19.
- Wolf Meadow Farm: Cheese Basket for Dad including: scamorza, caciotta and surprise 3rd cheese, plus wine jelly & spreader: $35.00 with mention of promotion; available 6/11-6/19 while supplies last!
THURSDAY, JUNE 16
- $5 Sundaes from Crescent Ridge (8am-8pm): All day, for everyone. Welcome, summer! Cridgeband owners receive $5 Sundaes all month.
FRIDAY, JUNE 17
- Red Apple Farm Presents: Apple Butter Glazed Pork Chops (in the KITCHEN; Friday, 1:30-2:30pm): Looking for a new recipe for Dad? Learn how to make pork chops glazed with Red Apple Farm’s apple butter and you’ve got a special meal planned for Father’s Day.
- The Readable Feast (Friday, 6/17 & Saturday, 6/18): Soon to become New England’s biggest culinary and cookbook festival celebrating local talent, The Readable Feast will offer a lineup of cooking demonstrations, seminars, and cookbook authors for the first annual and inaugural two-day festival, held at the Boston Public Market. For more info, ticket sales, and a schedule of events, visit thereadablefeast.com.
SUNDAY, JUNE 19
- Father’s Day BBQ Bites (in the KITCHEN, 11am-4pm): Celebrate with all the dads in your life! Enjoy activities for families and children of all ages, including crafting a gift for dad and hands on gardening, cooking and baking activities, including how to make BBQ sauce. Trustees Members: $15; Nonmembers: $25 (price per family-5 max).
THURSDAY, JUNE 23
- Free Samples of Cape Shark Strips from Red’s Best (2-5pm): Enjoy FREE samples of this tasty, abundant New England fish! Red’s Best currently exports 90% of this delicious, nutritious fish. Let’s keep local fish local.
FRIDAY, JUNE 24
- On the Edge Knife Sharpening (10:30am – 4:30pm): Bring your knives to the Market to have them expertly sharpened by Patti. $10 for a small knife, $15 for a large knife.
- Cheese Chat with Jasper Hill Farm (in the KITCHEN; 12-1pm): Grab your lunch or a snack in the Market and join us in The KITCHEN for an informal culinary chat. More info
- Red’s Best Presents: Get to Know Local Bluefish (in Red’s Best’s stall; 12-3pm): Drop in for a casual fish chat with Elaine J. Brewer, Info. & Edu. Coordinator from the MA DIVISION OF MARINE FISHERIES, for a fun, hands-on info session at the Red’s Best stall to learn more about bluefish season in New England. This event is FREE.
SATURDAY, JUNE 25
- Summer Session Preview “Open House” (in the Kids’ Nook; 10am – 3pm): The Boston Public Market will be working with summer camps around the city to offer educational, hands-on day field trips focused on nutrition lessons, local, unique, seasonal food, and budding chefs in the making! Help us test out our lesson plans with a FREE preview day of activities, open to all kids. No sign ups required, just swing by!
- Sundaes on Saturday with Crescent Ridge and Taza Chocolate (in the KITCHEN; 3-5pm): Join Crescent Ridge Dairy and Taza Chocolate to make your own sundae with special toppings made just for the occasion!