“Spring Forward” this March at the Boston Public Market
Shed those winter blues and gear up for spring this March at the Boston Public Market! Feel inspired to try new spring dishes, pick up a handmade treat from our local vendors, or check out promotions and classes happening all month long.
See details below about these March happenings and visit bostonpublicmarket.org for more information. Visit the Market’s 38 vendors, and explore their locally sourced and seasonal produce, meats, dairy, seafood, bread, prepared and specialty items, and more.
ST. PATRICK’S DAY (Thursday, March 17)
From corned beef and cabbage to a more unconventional meal, find a delicious range of ingredients for your St. Paddy’s Day celebrations at the Market. In honor of a day dedicated to “green,” bring the kids for a nutrition lesson and hands-on tasting of various local greens – arugula, kale, spinach, and more – they’ll learn that food can be tasty and fun! Enjoy special holiday vendor promotions, including:
- Crescent Ridge – “Hit the Bar Early” with 20% off all Frappes and Milk Shakes.
- George Howell Coffee – Enjoy an Irish inspired treat all St. Patrick’s week with an Irish cream latte.
- Cellars at Jasper Hill – Take $2 off Cabot Clothbound cheese all week.
- Lilac Hedge Farm – Stocking up for dinner? Find Corned Beef ($13.99/lb.); Angus Beef Boneless Rib Roast ($19.99/lb.); and Angus Beef Tenderloin Roast ($23.99/lb.).
- Massachusetts Wine Shop – Wondering what wine pairs with corned beef and cabbage? Visit Massachusetts Wine Shop and consult with the experts.
- Nella Pasta – Fill your bowls with green pasta to get in the holiday spirit!
- Peterman’s Boards and Bowls – Reach into the “Pot O’ Gold” for a chance to get 5%,10%, or 15% off your purchase, Wednesday, 3/16 through Saturday, 3/19.
- Red Apple Farm – Try a green-dyed twist on the iconic cider donuts!
- Red’s Best – Pub Grub alert! Come in for lunch or dinner and try the Guinness Beer Battered Fish & Chips with Malt Vinegar.
- Stillman Quality Meats – Need a corned beef brisket? Find it at Stillman Quality Meats, and take $2.00 off a pound when you pre-order at: stillmanqualitymeats.com/purchase/place-an-order/
- Sweet Lydia’s – For the perfect sweet treat to finish your meal, try Stout & Pretzel Marshmallows and caramels.
MAPLE DAY (Sunday, March 20, 11am – 4pm)
It’s not just for breakfast! Maple’s natural sweet flavor can enhance any dish or beverage to give you a special twist on an old favorite. In celebration of March being Maple Month in Massachusetts, join us for a special day dedicated to all things maple, including a pancake brunch in the KITCHEN, maple tastings, Kids’ Nook activities, a visit from the Massachusetts Maple Producers Association, maple candy (made right in front of you!), and special vendor promotions, including:
- Appleton Farms – In honor of Maple Day, sample Maple Cornbread from Carolyn’s Farm Kitchen as Carolyn visits Appleton Farms from 11am-1pm. Taste granola and jams and learn about her from-scratch baking mixes.
- Crescent Ridge – Buy a dish of Maple Walnut ice cream and get a second serving (any flavor) 1/2 off – all of March!
- George Howell Coffee – Pick up a Maple Latte all month long made with maple syrup sourced from Harlow’s Vermont Farmstand.
- Cellars at Jasper Hill – Enjoy samples of maple syrup straight from their farm in Vermont and bring some home at 15% off, all week.
- Hopsters Alley – Thirsty? Sample the “Sapling” line during a visit from Saxtons River Distillery (3-5pm), which includes Maple Bourbon and Maple Liqueur.
- Lilac Hedge Farm – Enjoy maple syrup samples all month – try dipping Lilac Hedge Farm’s smoked Kielbasa in it – maple’s not just for breakfast!
- Massachusetts Wine Shop – Take 10% off a special maple wine made from pure Massachusetts maple syrup! Pair it with French toast or even over a scoop of Crescent Ridge Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Nella Pasta – Get in the spirit with a special made-to-order lunch special: Butternut Squash Ravioli in a Maple Bacon Cream Sauce.
- Peterman’s Boards & Bowls – Save 10% on any local, upcycled, made in Massachusetts Spalted or Ambrosia Maple Boards or Bowls on 3/20.
- Red’s Best – 3/20 lunch and dinner special: Maple Mustard Glazed Salmon over a market green salad for $13.00. Also check out Maple Mustard Marinated Salmon at $18/lb. in the fish case.
- Soluna Garden Farm – For a fun twist on a classic, try Smoky Maple Barbeque Rub on popcorn.
- Taza Chocolate – Relish a maple sweetened hot chocolate for an extra boost while you shop.
- Wolf Meadow Farm – Maple Syrup drizzled over fresh ricotta cheese is a beautiful, simple combination – no recipe required! Find it at Wolf Meadow Farm.
FISH FRIDAYS DURING LENT
Take the opportunity of the season of Lent to brush off your favorite seafood recipes on Fridays. Find fresh seafood caught by local fishermen at the Market and ask employees for their favorite recipes. Enjoy specials and discounts, including:
- Nella Pasta – Looking for a twist on seafood? Try Squid Ink Pasta!
- Red’s Best – 10% off raw fish all Thursdays (4 – 8pm) and Fridays (8am – 8pm) during Lent season; visit their stall to find simple fish recipes for inspiration! Offer does not apply to prepared foods, a la carte menu, halibut, sea scallops and tuna.
- Corner Stalk Farm – Fish and shellfish should be cooked in salt for flavor. Buy any large Marblehead Sea Salt and pick up a free medium size lettuce mix for your Lenten dinner.
- Wolf Meadow Farm – 12% off melting cheeses for grilled cheese or vegetarian dinners on Fridays from 5-8pm.
Hosting Easter celebrations for friends and family this year? Stop by the week of Easter to pre-order or purchase all of your holiday meal ingredients and desserts and find special promotions, including:
- Crescent Ridge – All of March, take 10% off all ice cream pies and cakes.
- George Howell Coffee – The perfect spring brew with a kick is the Lavender Latte with house-made lavender syrup.
- Cellars at Jasper Hill – Harbison is a soft-ripened cheese with a rustic, bloomy rind, making it the ideal pairing choice from wine to roasts; special price of $17 all week long.
- Lilac Hedge Farm – Holiday meat specials include: Leg of Lamb (bone-in $14.99/lb.); Smoked Ham ($10.99/lb.); Angus Beef Boneless Rib Roast ($19.99/lb.), and several other cuts.
- Massachusetts Wine Shop – Stop by for advice on local wine pairings for your Easter ham.
- Peterman’s Boards and Bowls – Big holidays and great gatherings call for significant serving ware. Receive 20% off significantly sized bowls of 15″ and larger! (Wednesday, 3/23 through Saturday, 3/26).
- Red Apple Farm – Help out the Easter Bunny and grab some Easter egg and bunny shaped fudge.
- Red’s Best – “The Ocean’s Egg” lunch and dinner special: a whole broiled open-faced sea scallop with roe intact served on the half shell and topped with chive butter. And get 2 for the price of 1 on live scallops (Wednesday, 3/23 through Saturday, 3/26).
- Soluna Garden Farm – Stock up on spice blends to add flavor and aroma to make your holiday feast extra special.
- Stillman Quality Meats – Take advantage of meat and dairy specials by pre-ordering your Bone-in Smoked Heritage Hams, Legs of Lamb, Brisket, and an assortment of fresh eggs for dyeing at stillmanqualitymeats.com/purchase/place-an-order/
- Sweet Lydia’s – For a local, handmade, and adorable twist on an old favorite – find hand-piped marshmallow chicks at Sweet Lydia’s for all your holiday guests!
- Taza Chocolate – Try a Taza take on the classic Chocolate Bunnies and Bunny-Pops for kids and adults alike.
- Wolf Meadow Farm – Starting the first week of March, find an Easter ordering list of fresh cheeses (Primo Sale, Ricotta, Mozzarella, etc.) and receive discounts on orders placed by 3/23. Love ricotta? For the whole month of March, take $2.00 off every pound of ricotta purchased; and on Sundays, buy one container, get one free (while supplies last).
Join us for special events at the Market this month, including:
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 2
- Market Morsels (in the KITCHEN every Wednesday) (12-1pm) Swing through the KITCHEN on your lunch break to have a taste of the Boston Public Market.
THURSDAY, MARCH 3
- REI Hosts Thursday Morning Yoga (in the KITCHEN every Thursday) (7-8am): Looking to practice yoga in the company of like-minded outdoor enthusiasts? Join us for our REI Yoga Club! Our Outdoor School Yoga Instructor will offer a Vinyasa flow yoga class weekly as a special treat for REI Members and Guests. No experience necessary. Yoga mats available on a first come – first serve basis. This class is free.
- Fast, Fresh and Delicious for Less (in the KITCHEN every Thursday) (11:45am-12:30pm & 1-1:45pm) Project Bread’s Chef Vanessa Labranche leads this free cooking demonstration to teach market patrons how to prepare healthy meals on a budget. Each week, Chef Vanessa introduces new recipes that feature fresh, healthy foods that can be purchased at the market. Enjoy simple, tasty recipes that do not require a lot of time, skill, or money to prepare. This class is free.
- Boston’s Market District and Haymarket (in the KITCHEN) (6-8:30pm) Kenneth C. Turino, Manager of Community Engagement and Exhibitions for Historic New England leads this talk about the history of Boston’s markets. This well-illustrated presentation looks at how Boston’s Market District developed from a time when Boston’s earliest settlers were served by peddlers with carts to the first outdoor markets established around the Town Dock. Trustees Members: $9; Nonmembers: $15.
SATURDAY, MARCH 5
- Winter Kettle: Seasonal Soups for the Soul (in the KITCHEN) (5:30-8PM) Join chef Carolyn Grieco on Saturday evenings this winter for our winter culinary workshop series. With seasonal ingredients as our inspiration, these classes bring together the market’s winter bounty. Trustees Members: $60; Nonmembers: $75.
SUNDAY, MARCH 6
- $1 Buck Shuck with Red’s Best (8am-8pm) Visit Red’s Best to take advantage of $1 oysters all day. No better way to celebrate Sunday Funday! While supplies last.
- Touch Tank Sundays with Red’s Best (Every Sunday in March; 10am-4pm) Get up close to learn and touch whole, local fish and shellfish. Free.
- Taste of the Season (in the KITCHEN every Sunday) (11am-1pm) Stop by the Kitchen for our weekly seasonal tastings sponsored by Blue Cross Blue Shield Massachusetts. Each week will feature seasonal produce or products from the market. Taste of the Season is free and open to all, so visit the KITCHEN and have a taste.
- Succulent Gardens with Stow Greenhouses (in the KITCHEN) (1-2pm) Learn how to make and care for a beautiful succulent garden. Students will be able to able to choose from a variety of succulents to create a long lasting, low maintenance container garden. Trustees Members: $36: Nonmembers: $45.
WEDNESDAY, MARCH 9
- Edible Art for Kids (in the KITCHEN) (3:30-4:30pm) Families are welcome the second Wednesday of each month for Edible Art, presented by The Art of Healthy Eating. This program is recommended for children ages 3-6. Trustees Members: $12/family; Nonmembers: $20/family.
SUNDAY, MARCH 13
- DIY Terrariums with Stow Greenhouse (in the KITCHEN) (3-5PM) Ever wish you had a trendy terrarium like you see on Pinterest? Well now you can learn how to DIY! Trustees Members: $36; Nonmembers: $45.
- Cricket Creek Farm Demo at Appleton Farms (Appleton Farms stall; 12-2pm) Meet Suzy from Cricket Creek Farm – she’ll be sampling Maggie’s Round, Tobasi and Berkshire Bloom cheeses, made at her farm in Williamstown.
FRIDAY, MARCH 18
- Under Loved White Fish: Pollock, Hake & Whiting (Red’s Best stall; 12-3PM) Join Red’s Best and Elaine J. Brewer, Information & Education Coordinator from the MA Division of Marine Fisheries, for a fun, hands-on info session at the Red’s Best stall to learn more about underutilized flaky white fish in New England. Free.
FRIDAY, MARCH 25
- Mixology: Spring Cocktail Shrubs (in the KITCHEN) (6-8pm) Spoiler alert: This kind of shrub isn’t found in the yard! The Mixologists from WanderLush will show you how to experiment with three basic shrub recipes and learn how to use the appropriate mixers or spirits with them. And, you’ll get to take home your own handmade shrub. Trustees Members: $40; Nonmembers: $50.
THURSDAY, MARCH 31
- Thriving Thursdays: Cleansing Spring Foods & Tonics (in the KITCHEN) (6-7:30pm) It’s time to say goodbye to Old Man Winter with some spring cleaning for your body! In this class we’ll discuss and sample some of the first emerging plants of the season, including dandelions, chickweed and violets. These often-overlooked plants are usually thought of as “weeds”, but they are in fact highly nutritive and beneficial plants, especially as we make the transition from winter to spring. Trustees Members: $15; Nonmember: $25.